Getting a good tattoo that will be enjoyed for years to come is much harder than most people expect. after all, this is akin to a permanent wardrobe choice. if you had one shirt that you had to wear every day for the rest of your life, you would likely put careful thought into exactly what qualities that shirt would need to have. yet when it comes to picking out a tattoo, many people just drop in on their local parlor, thumb through a few books, and say “That one.”
This is a huge mistake. Here are several common problems encountered using this approach:
1) Trendy, current tattoos are frequently chosen. these will look great for the next few years, but will look outdated when the next tattoo trend hits. I write from experience on this one.
2) you are limited to seeing only one or a few styles of work, i.e. the styles represented by just the artists in the parlor.
3) There is often pressure in a parlor to quickly pick out a tattoo. while the artist themselves don’t pressure patrons, there is an intrinsic motivation to not take up time and space that could be better spent on another paying customer.
The end result of any bad decision is a tattoo that doesn’t fit your style, a tattoo that quickly fades from fashion, or to put it bluntly: a tattoo that sucks. When that happens, the cleanest option is a cover-up, but the original tattoo paints you into a design corner.
So it’s vitally important that:
- You take your time finding a tattoo design
- You browse many different styles of tattoos from many different artists
- You browse the work of the most respected artists you can find
- You sleep on your options, and revisit them over the course of days, weeks, or even months (instead of minutes or hours)
- You “test drive” your tattoo options inking them temporarily with a Sharpie and transfer paper
When you’ve done this you can feel comfortable in getting inked permanently. and doing this is surprisingly easy thanks to the use of a tattoo finder.
Tattoo finders are inexpensive, web-based tools that enable you to search and filter thousands of tattoo designs that you can then take to an artist for modification or application.
With a tattoo finder, you are able to quickly and easily look through tattoo designs submitted by aspiring artists who subscribe to the tattoo finder service. these varying styles will help you narrow down your tastes fairly rapidly, enabling you to zero in on styles you like, and treat the rest as noise. you can also do this from the comfort of your own home, instead of in a parlor, where it sometimes feels that all eyes are on you, and many of those eyes are judging your tattoo selection!
Perhaps best of all is that a tattoo finder will help you find a killer design that you’ll love for years to come. and that really is the point, isn’t it?
Tattoo finders can save you hours of effort, years of discomfort and embarrassment, and help you ensure that the design you get today will be enjoyed for your lifetime. because after all, once you’ve got it, it’s not going away!